Tokyo Cup Results

When I first saw the UB results, my first thought was 'good god! these girls really take 'peaking for World's' to heart!' Can you imagine these scores along with everything else that went wrong in TF's? My goodness. The Tokyo Cup was not as interesting as I thought it would be. I had assumed Russia was sending an A list team to such an "inconsequential" meet because they wanted the girls to try out some skills/connections that might be incorporated next year, but short of doing that, they actually downgraded and had some dodgy execution to boot. My new theory, then, is that this was a meet to get some prize money, which is totally fine with me- it's just that I sorta psyched myself up because I know they've been working on a lot of new things that weren't presentable for Worlds. It seems some girls from other countries did upgrade, though: Miyakawa added a wolf turn to her FX, and Makra had a balance beam d-score that was half a point higher than what she did in Glasgow. 

Oksana and the Russians in Japan!

Here are the results for BBUBFX, and VT.

Paseka withdrew from floor finals; I hope she's okay. For someone who can manage a cheng, that's a decidedly low e-score for a much simpler vault. Her dty's and lopez's from earlier this year looked labored, and I can't help thinking that it's pure will and determination that gets those more difficult vaults around. Well, she's still my MVP of the year for coming back on three events and for her prowess on the bars and vault. She has won every vault title this year except at Nationals, which means the national champion on vault has barely competed this year while the silver medalist went on to win every important title. How strange!

Dasha ends her year on a great note as well, winning the UB title here, albeit with less pizazz. I forgot where I heard it but I think someone said she's medalled in every UB final since 2011? If that's true, wow! I still can't see how she's justified on a five member Olympic team but if she could raise her d-score to a level no one else on the team could reach, then she might still be a one event gymnast but she'd have that 'Maroney magic'-the guarantee of bringing a 16+ score. 

Vika didn't have a great go at it on UB but did her best beam routine of the year (oh now she wants to be good? lol). I confess that one of my disappointments is seeing her still not attempt to connect her opening series (L turn, front aerial, sheep jump). The longer she holds off on connecting those skills the harder it will be to get the connection consistent; I think it sets a dangerous precedent when its become second nature for her not to go for the CV. She had a 6.0 at the European Games but has since played it safe. But just to see her competing again, even if I'm always vexed with her, is wonderful because SHE'S BACK. I hope that Vika can regain her ankle strength for FX; the Rodionenko's did not mention her as an AAer for next year which has me anxious, but maybe they're waiting to see her train AA before getting people's hope up (in which case, thank you). 

Afan is crucial to the team's medal aspirations in Rio; as the only current senior member capable of 15+ on floor, I don't care how she chooses to perform in non major competitions. She's experienced enough to know how to turn it on when it's do-or-die time and that's all Team Russia needs from her. She went for less difficulty on floor for this competition but still beat Sae for the gold by having far better execution. What is there to say about this girl that hasn't already been expressed? She's a phenomenal asset. 


Each girl won a title on the event they are best at (well...not in Vika's case hahaha). They must focus on maximizing those strengths for next season and using the CoP to their advantage to minimize weak areas. 


Comments

  1. Hey! Did you happen to find videos from this meet? I've been looking ALL OVER and so far have only found a little news piece with Maria's Amanar and Daria's bars...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All I could find was this (so far): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCBj19wQ7SI

      Delete

Post a Comment