Best Choreography of 2015 Part I

I suppose this shouldve been done in December but it's never too late to recount your favorite routines, so without further ado I give you my list of interesting choreography from last year, with commentary! 

1.  Emma Larsson (SWE)

I've been a fan of Emma for quite some time but it wasn't until 2015 that I thought she reminded me of Larissa Iordache. They both have a habit of not finishing something, down to the very last detail, before they go into the next thing.  She's also very bouncy and all that excessive energy has the unfortunate effect of making her presentation look unrefined, in my opinion. I hope what I'm saying makes sense? The choreography is very delightful but I think the dance technique is not as strong. What I do love about this routine is that there's no 'dry spot' where nothing is happening but killing time, and I greatly prefer her interpretation of the music over Miyakawa's fx which uses samples of the same song. My favorite part of the routine probably occurs from 0:40- 1:01; the smile she gives to the audience after every gesture is a delightful touch [that also works well in Thorsdottir's fx]. Emma is lively,  eye-catching, and dynamic. 


2. Marlene Bindig (GER)

This song, called 'heart cry', is very popular in the world of competitive dance. For a gymnast, you can't get intimidated by performing to slower music, even though modern crowds go nuts over more amped up, beat thumping selections. Marlene really threw herself into this contemporary dance, thus the audience was mesmerized.  If you sell it, they'll buy it. I've seen gymnasts embarrassed (or too self conscious) by this style of choreography, and the exhibition is uncomfortable to watch.   



3. Eythora Thorsdottir (NED)
Everyone's favorite person of course had to make my list for best choreography of 2015...maybe even the very best choreography? I don't think too many gymfans would argue against it. Her whimsical presentation has been earning this charismatic charmer high e-scores all season. In her latest fx, debuting just a few weeks before Worlds, we were treated to some of the trademarks of past successful routines while also getting to watch Eythora risk a high d-score to mature further as a performer. Precise in skill and fluid in dance, she makes everything look effortless. I just love to watch her on any apparatus over and over again because she epitomizes elegance, and never relaxes posture or form when it comes to the little things either. Her meticulously detailed and uncompromising performances have been discussed very positively within the FIG, so here's to hoping her work influences code changes in 2017. 


4. Zhu Xiaofang (CHN) 

The Chinese are renowned for their machine like precision on the beam and bars but something about their gymnastics has never resonated with me on floor. They make the perfect case for excellent form not equating to artistry. All the girls are very practiced in toe point, flexibility, and extension, but I think it's a tragedy that so very few Chinese gymnasts have been known for memorable floor routines. But thankfully every quad, among the mundane bunch, comes a gymnast who seems to feel the music through every part of her being. When presentation finally coincides with presence, you've entered the world of the exquisite. And here is the exquisite Zhu Xiaofang (and how beautiful is she, walking on her toes at 1:02- 1:04?): 




5. Valentin Pikul (FRA)

France is doing some amazing things with their latest batch of juniors, but even the seniors are showing up with stylish and, dare I say, aggressive choreography. Pikul is one of my favorites on the current senior roster because she's basically the antidote to the delicacy of teammates, Martin and His. I will admit I hate that the coaches gave her this incredible choreography and still couldn't prevent Pikul from doing the flamingo stance in the corners. This routine also loses steam from 0:36- 0:43 with...artistic jogging?... and arm waving; seriously, it feels too much like filler which is ridiculous considering the entire things is done in a minute thirty seconds. C'mon, France!




6. Anastasia Dmitrieva (RUS)

The folksy floor routine is a rite of passage in Russia. Honestly, I'm all kalinka'd out, so hearing undertones of it in this routine has me wanting to mail the coaches at Round Lake this present. Expand your horizons, people! But nothing could make me unlove this routine once I saw it. Dmitrieva brings up nostalgic longings when she enters the floor with a twirl, very reminiscent of so many 2009-12 floor's that saluted with creative walk-on's. The strength of her work lies in her expressive elegance and her performance sensibility...she appreciates the aesthetic. 



Part II coming up featuring more amazing routines!

Comments