Who's Retiring???

I'm compiling a list of athletes we can look forward to seeing next quad. Some athletes I can only assume will continue with Tokyo in mind, while others have been more forthcoming about their future. Here, in their own words, are those who are staying or going, and why. 

Yana Kudryavtseva: "It is silver but it shines like gold"
''I have no such desire to resume training so quickly; right now I want to relax, it's been a tough year for me. I would really like to continue my career until Tokyo 2020 but that depends on my health and [preventing new] injuries" (x

Additionally, Viner told the media in Rio that she wants to see Yana win the gold in Tokyo "just like Alina did" in Athens. Less than 24 hours after the AA final, Yana also told media that she was not fully satisfied with this Olympics, and that she wanted to go to Tokyo and win, as revenge.

Eleonora Romanova
The Kremlin granted several more foreign sports competitors Russian citizenship this week, including Ukrainian-born rhythmic gymnast, Eleonora Romanova, and her mother. (x

A friend spoke on her behalf: "Elya is already practicing her new routines (she prefers ball and ribbon). She also prefers morning training to the evening sessions but notes that training in Novogorsk is more fruitful than in Ukraine. Kanaeva remains her temporary coach (until they see how she is improving and competing)" (x)

Anastasia Maximova
In addition to Olympic prize money, the Novgorod government awarded her a special fund of two million rubles (about 15.571 US dollars) for captaining her group to gold (x). 

''I wondered for a long time on the subject of my future, when it would come. But I like to train, I love gymnastics. For several Olympic Games, I was the reserve, but never got on the national team. Then, finally, my third Olympics, I finally got a part- in the role of team captain- so now I want to rest a little and then continue." (x

Angelina Melnikova: "I did not expect to cry twice at the Olympics"
"I knew all the hope people had in me...and that was probably why I was crying...you could say that qualifying [day] was a failure." (x)

Angelina has given a few interviews but they were only concerning her participation at the Games, not her future career plans. Still, I strongly assume she is continuing in gymnastics. 

Aliya Mustafina: "I've had a good career"

"I have decided to take a rest but for how long I don’t know. A comeback is possible. It's interesting to try doing it all again, and see if I can do it. I don’t have any goals other than coming back. We’ll see then. In London I was younger and more emotional. Now my emotions are more internal. Now I want to rest."

After winning gold on the uneven bars, Fahrat Mustafin admitted his daughter texted him: "She also told us that it was probably the last routine of her career. I don't know if she will change her mind. Artistic gymnastics is going through a rough time and I think the team still needs Aliya...on the other hand, four years is a very long time. Is this really necessary?" (x)

Maria Paseka: "If health permits I'll continue"
"I don't want to end my career. I will make a decision as health permits. [First] I will go to Germany, then Spain for vacation, then then we'll see." (x)


Emin Garibov: "I'm not so ready to give in"
"Unfortunately, I didn’t have enough time to prepare for Rio. I am recovering now. Of course, I plan to continue my career, I want to make a final push next year. If I recover fully, I'll try to get onto the team for the European Championship 2017. Then we will see what to expect from me in the future." (said on Match TV)

Ivan Stretovich 
During a victory tour around the city, and stopping through his local club, Ivan told media "I plan to compete for the gold in 2020!"


The results of the artistic gymnastics team in Rio will be discussed on the 15th of September. The president of  FSGR will analyze performances of both gymnasts and coaching staff. (x)



Comments