Mustafina Out of World's

Well, we knew it was coming and after yesterday's performances I didn't feel good about Russia's podium chances in AA, so this is like salt to the wound even though the outcome was inevitable. Valentina explains that because of recurring pains and fatigue, Aliya has neither the strength, endurance, or competitive program needed for World's. After years of medals, Mustafina has nothing to prove... but her name carries high expectations and it's not right to ask her to go to World's and tarnish that reputation when she's not ready. This is a reasonable statement.

My opinion is once she is feeling better, she'll resume the process of training, starting with weeks of conditioning to physically prepare for getting back her EuroGames program. And then the upgrades. It will be a long journey, and in many ways, the time she has missed this year will be time she's still using next year to return to that form. It means she'll still be playing catch up to the Americans, and with that in mind, a Rio GOLD medal in the AA is fading... 

From Aliya's lips: “Yes, I will miss Worlds and the main reason is the pain in my back. This is not a serious injury but it has been bothering me for quite a long time. When I don’t practice, it feels better, but when I get back to training the pain comes back. As for my future, I never predict the future, that’s why I don’t want to talk about it. It is how it is now, but everything can change tomorrow”


Comments