Zamo's Tournament Highlights Fresh Talent

There were a lot of rising stars at the first annual tournament named in honor of two time Olympian, Elena Zamolodchikova. In addition to previewing the juniors born from 2001-2006, a few Tokyo eligible juniors were present. As a spectator, I was watching the older juniors to see how they were interpreting the new CoP and watching the younger girls simply for the pleasure of who had enjoyable gymnastics (and might make a 2018 Euros team). My general impression is that no one is taking the artistry requirements on beam or floor seriously, and that vault is in a very alarming state of decay. On the good side, there were enough juniors competing three, sometimes four, D passes so let's hope Russia can field a strong junior team for Euros (they'll be aided by top contenders who didn't compete at this tournament, like Ksenia Klimenko). Some comments (links in blue): 

Varvara Zubova: UB, BB, FX
Zub Zub (I believe we agreed on that nickname?) is such a contradiction in my mind. I know she's beloved by the gymternet for her innovative sequences and risk factor, but I implore anyone to look at her technique & form and tell me they don't see trouble coming down the road. Much as I admire her, she's like some weird Dmitrieva/ Shelgunova combo conceived in hell and I can't look past the aesthetics as others have done. The worst part of her beam is that, collectively, it's everything a dream routine would have, but I want someone else to do it, and in the meantime Zubs can take a year long seminar on how to get Aliya's Onodi™. I also preferred her previous floor choreography, but what I like about Zubova is how she's always made the corner rules a non-issue by actually dancing into and out of them. What do you think of this one? Am I overreacting?

Elizaveta Kochetkova: UB, BB  
I only really like her as a floor worker but there's no footage of her new routine :( I doubt her beam is what the FIG's want to see, considering their desire to return beam to the days of yore; they have clearer definitions for the distinction between what a gymnast performs and how she does it. Here are some snaps from the CoP that she's not fulfilling (imo):

  • not a series of disconnected elements; no unnecessary stops; rhythm should be fluent, dynamic, and uninterrupted
  • well structured composition with creative transitions and rich variety of structured elements
  • beam must be transformed from an exercise into a performance
  • there's still no A-score but there are 4-5 tenths worth of exclusive artistry deductions and additional deductions can mount under insufficient body posture when performing certain elements (particularly dance skills)
Elizaveta Serova: FX 
Lovely flexibility from this one but she's not strong enough anywhere to make an impact when she turns senior (unless destiny has other plans). She scored a 50.233 at this year's Russian Championships in the KMS division. 

Rukhshona Azamova: BB(1), BB(2), FX, UB 
Really looking forward to watching her progress over the years. She won medals on every event at the 2015 Moscow Junior Championships, including two golds on beam and floor, which seem to be her consistently strong apparatus (she scored high 13's at this tournament). For now her beam is generic but there's a good mix of difficult skills, and she does have lovely expression in her arms albeit a little stiff in the hands. I like her on beam but not on floor, where I suppose she'll be grouped as a power tumbler since she's not an artistic Russian swan. Time will probably reveal she's neither of those things, and is more likely another Seda in the making, but what do you think about her potential?


Comments

  1. I completely agree about Zubzub. I think from what I've seen most of the gymternet people who more closely follow/get invested in Russian juniors (aka not just watching one standout beam routine), that your prediction of trouble coming is the majority opinion. She still has a year to clean up....but I don't see it. I remember people saying the same thing about Shelgunova in 2012 and while Zubs isn't quite that messy she also isn't as powerful. I have a lot more hope for the 3 2001 girls and Simakova.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment