WAG AA Live Hits



Scroll from bottom to top to read in chronological order

Lena speaking in English and charming everyone at the press conference. Seems some media are still surprised to find out she's bilingual.

In the replays after the medal ceremony USAG only showed Ellie stumbling on beam lmao. Yeah that was the highlight performance of her day, thanks.

Morgan Hurd is a doppelganger for Shang Chunsong (and that is indeed her idol) so it's kinda like Shang is here tonight finally getting her medal. 

Wisdom does exist on Tumblr. I couldn't have agreed with anything more than this post:

First Russian to win us an AA medal without being Aliya Mustaqueena. 

Soviet gymnast turned US super coach,Valery Liukin, finishes his first year in new career as National Team Coordinator with a stunning victory:
Btw I know this isn't Valery. It's a nice pic ok?

If you hit you win. So no. You won't win.

The theme of these Worlds for Russian AAer's is 'If Only'

I hope people don't shit on Lena because Mai was underscored. They both were. One just dramatically happened at the end. I wish they tied. 

The prophecy is fulfilled. USA continues the streak. First AA winner I've ever liked from them. 

The photographer who handed Lena the flag tho 


Ive been revived but it wasn't fair to Mai. I dunno who deserved the bronze more because Lena was underscored on vt and bb but Mai was SO underscored on fx, c'mon now...

Nope. Mai just killed it on fx. stuck every landing i think. So I'm dead...

Can we stop the competion while Lena still has a bronze?

I was just about to write I'm fine with Ellie Black as champion because it's not like USA never robbed someone of a gold by being overscored  but then they announced Morgi was still in first after Ellie's fx and all is right with the world. 

13.6 for Lena!!! She could've been our new champion, she could've guys. 

Eremina with a stuck triple and completely rotated! Great routine for her. The other passes were solid with tiny steps back. 

Morgan Hurd is goals. That fx was gorgeous. Of course we'd finally get an artistic American who can tumble but can't control her passes. 13.733!!!

After this AA is done disappointing me I have to finish an article on yesterday's AA 

I will never get over how Lena could be leading with a better UB. 

Black: 41.699(lol) Hurd: 41.499 Eremina: 41.199

Black overscored BIG time on beam lmao. 12.866. Good night. 

Black touches the beam but can still put upa  fight on FX. Damn i wish Lena was stronger on fx, that's what's holding her back. 

Melka slips on the double arabian. 11.4. I gotta go back and rewatch it but I wanna see Black on beam first. 

It was better than quals goddammit. Ok lemme calm down maybe she wobbled on the mount or something. 

13.133. NO.

Omg im sitting here talkin bout Hurd winning it when Elena Eremina, child of God, slayed on beam. They didnt show the beginning but no wobbles on the acro, missed the aerial to scale but everything was perfect and she stuck the dismount. Win it Lena!

Ok I want Hurd to win it. She is so adorable and clean and artistic on fx. Fought hard on that beam but mostly balance checks and a SAFE RING, blessings to her. 12.666

Murakami has balance checks after everything...and she's off on the double turn. I honestly would've done a single if I had been in medal position. I mean, she scored 14 on fx so it could still maybe happen if everyone else implodes. Which is likely.

Lena would be in 1st right now if she hit like in quals 

Standings after rotation 2:


Im so ready for Lena on beam 

12.433 for Melka. Didn't she get a 12.8 in quals which was her worse routine? 

Melka on beam: uncredited wolf turn for sure, she stands up before its finished. Doesn't connect the aerial to leaps, hits the layout (!), stuck dismount. Yay and she's smiling. Ellie just did the ugliest bars routine btw. 

Lena still got a 14.2. Ok so she's def winning a UB medal right?

Elena WHYYYYY. Struggled to connect the nabieva to pak, too much momentum and wrong shoulder angle but she SAVED IT and continued flawlessly. Just that one error. Downgraded on the last pirouette as well. Sigh. Told you I had a bad feeling about today. We all did tho.

Crazy that I forgot there was still an American competing. Hurd had a good UB. She's my favorite American but it's crazy what happened to her teammate. 14.3 for Hurd. Will medal if she hits floor this time. 

Lena hasn't even gone on bars yet but I see her practicing her beam routine in the background. My child. 

Ooh Diana Varinska they're actually showing her yay! Nails the layout, falls on the switch ring. Blame the lights. 

Darwael (BEL) on beam: falls on loso, slow with connections. Lovely rhythm tho. She takes her time. But maybe too slow? 11.633

Current stats after Rotation 1:


13.775 for Melka. She can still make this up by not falling twice on fx. Everything needs precision now.

Melka doesn't connect anything and takes an extra swing. Wang Yan fell at the start of her beam. Why did I wake up to watch this?

Damn it Melka.

Steingruber (SUI) on bars: started quite nice, lovely leg form at first. close catch on the pak and then it just got crazy after the 1/1 to gainer. Loss of rhythm and legs seps everywhere. 12.933

Santos (BRA) on beam: falls twice, once on the cool bhs arabian combo and next on the bhs loso loso combo. In addition to some wobbles.

I can't concentrate. Feel so out of it.

Well, Aliya's 2010 AA leo packed a punch too.

13.866 when it was better than her quals? Okay

Elena: stuckish 1.5!

Hold on it kinda looks great on her?

Oh christ what is that leotard Lena?

Murakami: clean dty stuck 14.666

Ok it's started. I missed some stuff because of the drama but looks like Black vaulted spectacularly.

Organizers need to treat this like a competition not a concert. Athlete safety has not been the number one priority of Montreal officials. 3 minutes per apparatus at PT when they used to get two hours and could divide their time accordingly, blinding lights directly above the apparatus, faulty equipment, and cramped training halls with even brighter lighting than what the arena has.

Wang Yan also injured her knee on fx in quals but told no one until today. I'm trying to see if she's in the lineup tonight. Ugh this meet is so stressful and I have a bad feeling.

Nothing can save this Worlds at this point. Everyone's over it.

At one time a very likely podium for this final might have been: Iordache, Smith, and Andrade. And now they're all out .

I hate that this has happened. Obviously I despise Ragan's gymnastics but that's got nothing to do with how she just went down crying after she warmed up vault. Devastated for her. I hope the other girls go safe and keep their equilibrium.

BREAKING NEWS: Ragan Smith in injured on vault and withdraws from AA. Someone needs to fix the lighting and triple check equipment because this is too much. So many injuries shouldn't be happening at Worlds. Not just the big names either! In quals, seventeen athletes were injured in mag & wag.

I don't even know why I'm doing a live post. I'm still depressed for David and it's taking me forever to find the right words to use in my article about the MAG AA. It's incredible to see the outpouring of support and consolation he's received tho. 

Competition won't start for another hour maybe. I want to take a moment to wish this incredible athlete a speedy recover as she embarks on yet another surgery, next Tuesday:
The most resilient gymnast will be back to fight for the same medals next year, I'm sure of it.

Comments

  1. Eh, Mai did have the bigger error and her dance elements are always kinda sketchy, so I called it live that she wouldn't quite have enough. No issues here or really anywhere that I've seen, we have a nice streak of no outright falls medaling in the AA after the 09-12 quad had a medalist with a fall every year lol. I am upset for her though, she is overdue for a major medal and I hope it finally happens in EF! (I'm scared of jinxing her by even saying that aloud especially because she ended up with the sucky first slot on floor again). Black's beam score was the biggest joke of the competition and the fact that she still didn't win almost made me wonder if the floor judges were trying to balance the scales (Hurd's floor score was also generous).

    Overall not the emotional ringer the men's was, but maybe I'm just dead inside from all the injuries this week. I completely agree the organizers here have tried to emulate Glasgow, and while that meet was very splatty, this one has been a disaster. This is such a dangerous sport and athlete safety should be the priority!

    I'm so happy for Lena. Not a perfect day, but THAT is what a Russian fighting for everything looks like. She needed a great beam and floor to get herself onto that podium after a mistake on her best event, and she delivered on both. Crazy that she's joining such an exclusive club of Russian AA medalists.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Afterwards I rewatched and I agree, Mai wasn't perfect, but in the moment I was so sure they would credit everything and give in to the roar of the crowd. It was on of those performances where there were obvious issues but if she scored more, few would've railed against it.

      I'm so over this comp tho. It was incredibly difficult to get into the mood to watch WAG AA and then everything was going to shit for 2 rotations and I was ready to be done. I'm glad live blogging forced me to stick it out but I can't get over all the falls in quals, MAG AA, and too many serious injuries have happened for me to enjoy this any longer.

      Anyways, Lena is legit and her success is distracting me from Melka so thank god she exists rn.

      Delete
    2. I rewatched it again because I wanted to see what BBC had to say and my opinion has changed - I don't think Black deserved to medal at all! Maybe if she'd gone through without a mistake, but a mistake on top of all her other execution problems at a meet where judges have been this picky? Her opening leap mount series on bb alone should've made it impossible to get the e-score they were prepared to give her given the way everyone else's have been judged. I'll take Mai with a fall over that. I know you said you don't have the energy to complain about the way Black's been scored but yeesh, it's one of the most blatant home scoring boosts I've ever seen at such an important competition. Why couldn't FIG have done this for Flavia on beam last year :/

      Delete

  2. My name is Leah Brown, I'm a happy woman today? I told myself that any loan lender that could change my life and that of my family after having been scammed separately by these online loan lenders, I will refer to anyone who is looking for loan for them. It gave me and my family happiness, although at first I had a hard time trusting him because of my experiences with past loan lenders, I needed a loan of $300,000.00 to start my life everywhere as single mother with 2 children, I met this honest and God fearing online loan lender Gain Credit Loan who helped me with a $300,000.00 loan, working with a loan company Good reputation. If you are in need of a loan and you are 100% sure of paying the loan please contact (gaincreditloan1@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment