A Cause For Concern...And Celebration

The All-Around final has concluded and Russia's only competitor in the field, Seda Tutkhalyan, finished in 15th place after a fall on beam devalued her entire routine. She opened the competition with a strong DTY: legs glued together, slightly piked in the last rotation, a big hop on the landing but right down the middle. She scored a 14.866, but I feel she's scored the same with better vaults in the past. I was nervous for her on bars because, while she's not inconsistent there, it's a weaker event for her and you can't be sure that a hit routine won't still end up in the 13's. But I had nothing to worry about. She performed beautifully and the only complaint I noted was that she wasn't anywhere near vertical on handstands. She got an 8.5 in execution, which I think is a career high for her, internationally. Go Seda! Moving on to where it all unravelled (a second time for her at Worlds)...beam. 

                            

The RO+LO, she nailed, but the round off to full twisting layout was completely off center and she skidded off the side of the beam. The rest of the routine was done very well; I think she might've been very angry with herself, and that extra adrenaline translated to a very assertive performance for the remainder of the set. You can see it on her face, even when she doesn't fall, just how badly she wants to master this beam routine. Unfortunately, because Seda's feet didn't touch the beam after the full twist, the judges didn't give her credit for the skill and any connection value it included. An enquiry proved slightly successful, but we can only surmise what they decided to credit her for when they changed her d-score to a 5.3. The damage was done anyhow; a final score of 12.700 effectively knocked her out of any podium potential she might've had, and removed her from a top 10 finish as well. 

It's important to understand that the AA field this year was more competitive than preceding Worlds; the cutoff qualifying score was 55.216 and the difference between 24th and 12th was just five tenths. In a final where mostly everyone's potential is distinguished by tenths and half tenths, a score in the 12's is fatal. It speaks to Seda's fighting spirit and talent that she still closed her day with a 55.432. We must not give up on her. I do wish that she would find a suitable fx arrangement and stick to it because she's changed tumbling passes, turns, and upgraded over the year, and I hate to see her d-score constantly going up and down because she's not consistent. In the AA final, she neglected her troublesome wolf turn to double spin combo and had an incomplete memmel downgraded, leaving her with a 5.3 difficulty, five tenths down from her normal start value! I know it's tempting to be done with Seda, especially when we  are so near to getting new seniors who are consistent, but where she's shown reason for concern, I see- elsewhere- reason for celebration. We know things didn't go well on beam but look at Seda's execution on the other three apparatus: 9.066 VT, 8.5 UB, 8.2FX. Russia can still make a champion of this girl with more time, patience and encouragement from both the establishment that trains her and her fans. I see a spark in Seda's eyes that lets me know she's hungry for success, but she will need more time to learn how to grab hold of it and not let it go. Onward and forward, Seda, I believe in you!

tkachevmeifyoucan:

my-bff-nastia:

melitinastanioutas:

dolly-z:

whipwhipdoublearabian:

Viktoria made a Facebook account to apologize to the U.S. girls. This time everything was correctly translated lol

I can tell you for sure, this is NOT fake. It’s a real account.

This is the first time i’ve read a direct apology. Like no “sorry about what I said in general” but a “x,y,z i’m sorry for what I told YOU”

Seriously proud of her 😢💕

Good for her. :)
 Other cause for celebration comes in the form of  a REAL apology from Vika, on her newly created facebook page. Vika said some hasty and very nasty things about her competitors after losing an easy team medal, Tuesday night, but showed real character by issuing a second, more sincere apology to those she offended. Bravo, Vika. I cannot stay mad at someone who genuinely seeks forgiveness, so on my part I can forgive and move on. And how timely, with the UB final tomorrow! Vika, I hope to see you as a World medalist in a few hours. 

It's been a crazy World Championships so far: Romania sent to the Test Event, Netherlands qualifies for Rio, Simone has a three-peat, Cuba wins a medal after years of not participating in Worlds, Romania has two top 8 AAer's while Russia has none, and China's MAG dominance is shattered. 

I'd be lying if I said I'm not anxious with the way things have gone for Russia so far. Both MAG and WAG seemed much stronger teams at the beginning of the season than what the results are telling us now: it's day 4 and neither has won any medals yet. But I know that celebration will come eventually in the Russian camp, and when I consider all the things to look forward to - new seniors, a more seasoned Tutkhalyan, Aliya's return, Nikita Ignatyev's improving AA potential, and Vika's return to AA- I still find myself saying, "everything's going to be all right."

Congrats to all the medalists so far. 

WAG AA Results here.
MAG AA Results here 

Gallery 1: here
Gallery 2: here

Comments