Crazy Event Finals, But Who's Complaining?

I cannot elaborate on event finals because a family emergency has come up, but to throw out a few quick words, I just wanted to say congratulations to Maria Paseka for proving naysayers wrong and for half the UB field for being so good the judges couldn't distinguish between you. Or is it that the FIG neglected to create a judging system that differentiates nuances between routines? Well, I'm happy anyways, and Russia won gold on the two events they were seeded to win, so extra hurrah for the girls not caving to pressure. 

                 

I'm so happy with the podium on VT: Paseka's vaults were kinda overscored to me, and sloppy, but she had better height, and angle rotation on her block, than Hong. As for Biles, it was never in her favor to win and she didn't seem phased by it. In this post I explained why Biles is reluctant to upgrade everything right away. Basically, pacing. But I saw this video of her amanar and you see why she outscores Hong and Paseka with the amanar. No matter what people say, Paseka has improved both her vaults so much that I don't feel like anyone was robbed as a result of her win. She had the difficulty and she had the execution to seize the day and she did. Masha, you are the MVP of the year!

                         


On UB, I felt that Vika should've won; that was honestly the best set she's done all year, though I regret her piking her layout jaeger because that was the difference between sharing the podium and being the only winner. Interestingly, if the tie was broken by Olympic procedure, Vika would still be a champion (as would USA). I'm sorry to say it, because she's generally fabulous, but Daria was underwhelming to me. I mean, her handstands were so horrible I almost cried. Madison (USA) had the funky feet but nailed her handstands while Dasha had the better leg form. Hmmm. If I had my podium it would've been Vika, Shang, Madison. It's kinda crazy because the only routine I truly liked beyond Vika's was Gabby Douglas', so maybe she'd get bronze in my ideal world? Speaking of, I was thrilled when the girls all had a lil hug fest after realizing they're co-co-co-co champions, especially when Gabs practically pulled Vika into a hug. Sportsmanship and friendship is the best. 

source: dear-gaskarth.tumblr

The thing about a fourway podium is that you can have your opinion about who should've rightfully won, but you're fave still won so you're happy anyways! Hey judges, what about a four way tie between Vika, Seda, Sanne and Eythora for beam tomorrow, please and thank you, lol. 

Tumblr, always on top of things: 

click to enlarge


Comments