"Competing With My Team Is Much Easier"


I finally had a chance to go through more Olympic material and I realized I hadn't said anything on Seda Tutkhalyan's Olympic journey. Well that's unacceptable. Seda was named to the team under the most depreciating of circumstances; fans didn't want her, critics (myself included) questioned her worthiness, and coaches waited until they were certain Afan couldn't perform before they added her to the lineup. She still had a core group of family, friends, and fans who supported and believed in her, but the larger public response was negative and up until the Olympics began no one could forget that she was a substitute. 

But once the Olympics started, she was one of the more positive facets of a messy qualifications that left Russia without any beam or floor finalists. I was surprised at the steady way she performed through quals and TF, she being the only team member to twice put up the necessary 14's on beam. Who woulda thought? I was also amazed to see that bars was consistently her highest scoring apparatus, not vault or beam. I mean, the UB judging was off it's rocker, but I still appreciate that the girl who crowed when she received her first international 14.0 in Baku had a 6.5 d-score a year later. I wonder what damage she might have done to the All Around if she were capable of doing the long awaited amanar. Even without the 6.3 amanar Seda was going very strong in the AA until an over rotated double pike, off the beam, left her stumbling onto her butt. Up until that moment I was hoping she would cap off another solid beam routine with the full-in dismount, but for whatever reason, the Russians went very conservative at the Olympics (with the exception of Aliya's last minute bars upgrade). 
The All Around is probably burned into her memory as the worst competition ever, and I'm upset for her that it ended this way, particularly because it somewhat mimics 2015 World's, where she qualified top 8 but finished in 15th. She [perhaps] knew that an Olympic podium was always out of reach, but I sense this was meant to be a purifying moment, where all past mistakes and disappointments would be wiped clean and forgotten if she could show a strong performance here. Instead, watching her cloister up and cry, dealing with her anger internally, kind of hit home how no one feels more frustrated by her constant mistakes than she does. Sometimes when people talk about Seda it's as if they think she doesn't care that she could've been a European/World/Olympic medalist, like she's totally unfazed by all the what if's and errors in her career. But of course she cares. I just think she feels as helpless in how to remedy the nature of her mistakes as coaches are. I'll never forget when the beam final in Glasgow ended, Andrei Rodionenko asked why she fell on her layout and she responded, "I don't know." It was a similar bafflement that engulfed her after the Olympic AA, failing to understand how so much preparation could fail at such a crucial time, and once again saying she "didn't know why" her strength had gone on fx. Physically she was up to the task but after the bb fall certified she would not pass Aliya, or any other gymnasts in medal contention, I think her mental strength was drained which led to a lack of fight on the floor. Scoring a 10 at the Olympics would knock the wind out of anyone but what else should happen after your moment of redemption turns into your moment of failure? To an Aliya stan like me, the AA was a success because the Queen picked up a medal, but I see now that her younger teammate is on a different journey that has nothing to do with glory or medals; she is being weighted down by her past and anything less than a hit 4-for-4 competition is a concession to defeat. If she can't escape this mental prison, I worry about her long term prospects. She needs a healthy body, mind, and attitude.


Seda told reporters she would try to remember these Olympics through her efforts in bringing the team to a stunning silver, and I hope she knows how intrinsic she was to that success. She also said that competing with her girls is much less of a strain because, though the pressure to hit remains the same, there is such a bond of support from them that it's easier to carry on through any hardships. We only need to see how Melka was comforted to comprehend Seda's words. I'm so proud of Tut for coming through when it mattered most, and I hope people will shift the narrative away from pretending she purposely antagonizes us with her "antics", and instead be a little more sympathetic to the burden of responsibility she's always nurtured of being her country's next great All Arounder.


Comments

  1. she's not the problem for me the real problem is aliya,david,maria,denis all of them want to take a break instead of upgrading it's show you the lack of motivation if russia doesn't produce some talents Tokyo will be horrible ��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aliya isn't thinking about upgrading because she's not sure if she's ending her career yet, so first she will take a break and when she is replenished will think about if her heart is in for another 3-4 years of gymnastics. She's talked about how hard it is for her to stay in shape when she's not doing gymnastics continually so a comeback would be very strenuous. David, Maria, Denis are also taking breaks because they've competed through two quads and another 4 years without a respite would result in burnout by Tokyo. In the interim between now and whenever they decide to come back, it's up to the younger members like Stretovich, Nagorny, Tut, Melka, Eremina, etc. to be the ones to step up.

      I wouldn't worry about Denis and Maria not upgrading...they always do. Who would've thought she'd learn a cheng? She's spoken about wanting to try a triple yurchenko just to say she's done it, so that's a promising ambition. Denis is the same way about his vaults and floor. Both are daredevils so we will see new things from them.

      Delete
    2. You are being far more polite to this anon than I would be. Good lord.

      TBH I think both Aliya and Maria are done, but I'm glad gymnastics is at the point where "retirement" seems more open-ended than it used to be. I was sure they'd both announce their retirements after Rio, but maybe winning more medals was a nice reminder to both that they're still capable of challenging with the best.

      I would love to see them come back in a year or two if they want, although I worry Russia isn't the type of program that would know how to manage that kind of comeback....even the US, which is more individualized, is hit or miss in that area. Maybe if Vika's serious about not being finished she'll be the test run returnee next year. In the meantime I'm actually super excited (and nervous lol) to see who steps up next year. This has felt like Aliya's team (w/some flashes of Vika last quad) for so long that as much as I love her and love watching her I'm ready to see how Russia does without her presence. We just need to hope the juniors figure out the vaulting situation since that's been looking a little sketchy with that group. Then again, Melka's DTY has come a long way from where it was when she was a junior, so I'll be optimistic!

      Delete
    3. My first reply was not so nice but I wrote it over lol. I think Seda will have an amanar sometime in the next four years, tho I don't necessarily think it's worth the risk anymore. nevertheless, she's continued training it this year so I think there will be a time when it becomes serviceable. Melka and Eremina have dty's although Eremina's needs a lot more work and consistency. Simakova is training a rudi (search youtube) which will now have the same SV as an amanar in 2017-2020. There will be time for other girls to step up, but I do worry about the vt situation overall. I'm as excited as you are to see how the team morphs without Aliya's presence.

      Delete
    4. Yeah vault next quad is worrying considering that 1) it's usually Russia's 2nd best event and where they pick up some ground on other teams and 2) for the most part, the London quad girls did most of the best vaulting for the team this quad. Russia even brought Nabieva just to do a DTY in 2014! Aliya has one of the best DTYs in the world so I'm not necessarily expecting everyone to be at her level, but I do think they might take a step back there.

      I think it's generally been the case for years that if a Russian gymnast doesn't have a DTY by the time she turns senior she's not going to get one, so I'm glad Eremina and Perebinosova are trying them now even if they need work. I did not know Simakova was training a rudi, I'll have to look that up! That'd be an interesting future upgrade.

      Delete
    5. At the mixed zone in Rio after ind AA Aliya told to press that they(she and her coaches) need to see in the gym due to which she can raise hers diff on all 4 apparatus in Tokyo perspectives :) and all the press was confused at that moment, bcz all them was thinking that she choose to retire after rio, but Mustafina is a true fighter!

      Delete
    6. she is the ultimate champion! if she comes back I will support her 100%!

      Delete
  2. There are potentially good upcoming seniors. The quintet of Elena Eremina, Anastasiia Iliankova, Uliana Perebinosova, Angelina Simakova and Varvara Zubova can fill up the void that will be left when Mustafina etc retires. These girls have much potential and quite daring in their approach to gymnastics. The future is bright for Russia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent thoughts. Additionally, Klimenko & Saifulina as AAers, and Shekoldina as a fx worker, are sure to impress many doubters next quad...and the better news is that there are unknown girls who will become the next big thing but presently remain unknown (or unimpressive) because not everyone soars as a junior. Even if all the veterans return to the team, new talent needs to come up to furnish additional strength. We were lucky to have girls like Seda and Melka who could score 58+ in the AA to help mitigate the disaster of two one eventers on an Olympic team.

      Delete
  3. I for one wish most of the veterans to retire. They deserve rest and gave brought enough glory. Their bodies need a break. So many young Russian girls with promise. Plus there is Kapitanova, Kharenkova, etc still around and can still upgrade and improve.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Personally, I was thrilled to see Seda perform so well in quals, I think she has a great future. I also have to say that given the year prior to the Olympics and the performances they had put up, I was not surprised at all that Dasha and Gelya struggled. Those bubbles had to burst sometime and Rio was at least a great learning experience. All-in-all, I was very happy for the team and the way they performed and supported each other. I just hope the Romanian team can learn from this example.

    This Olympics has been a godsend to Russian gymnastics and I think the team that they had was perfect for the long-term future of the sport. Whilst it was limited in it's medal-winning scope, I think the experience for the younger members will be invaluable and of far more worth to Russian gymnastics going forward than a bronze medal for Ksenia Afanasyeva (as wonderful as that might have been and no disrespect meant to Ksenia who has been a treasure for Russian gymnastics). If this group and the juniors mentioned can stay together for Tokyo, Russia will be a power to reckon with. Aliya, Ksenia and Vika can do far more for Russian gymnastics as mentors for these girls, than as competitors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Russia has a lot of options, indeed, for next year's Worlds (I believe it's still a 4 person team the first year of a new quad?). I just hope every girl can survive the transition period (read some of my worries here: http://russianseason.blogspot.com/2016/07/lets-talk-about-lena-and-strategy.html)

      Delete
  5. The sad thing is, add in a point back for Seda's beam fall, then give her her floor score from TF, and she ties Aliya. Honestly, I think she was one of the main reasons Russia got silver in TF, even though she didn't give them a 15.8 on bars, or the highest score on beam.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment