It Could Be Worse


Yes, it definitely could be. Readers, I am not telling you a lie when I say I thought I had a stroke when Angelina put her hand down on the beam. It was so out of the ordinary and I was not emotionally prepared for having to worry about someone so typically stable. When Seda got downgraded I grew anxious and felt like throwing up, that's how bad the butterflies in my stomach were. Not used to having physical reactions to a sport, I became consciously nervy. So when Aliya came off the beam, that's when the floodgates opened. I cried and cried and cried and not because it was over for Team Russia. It wasn't; I knew they would make TF no matter what. I cried because I so badly want Aliya to have the going out party she deserves. 

For years I followed gymnastics sporadically, switching between RG and AG with neither capable of holding my attention fully. It was the 2012 European WAG team that made me fully invested in the sport. So in many ways, the 2013-16 quad is my first cycle as a bonafide hardcore gym fan. I have a special place for girls like Daria, Seda, and Angelina in my heart because I watched them as juniors and now I get to see them live their dreams on the biggest stage. Last quad I liked Aliya, this quad I love her. The difference? Coming off the Olympics, I had this vision of her as an invincible competitor- the way people view Biles now- but when she stumbled, and suffered, and sacrificed, I began to understand the price of having such a formidable reputation. A mistake from her leads to derision and mockery, a fall might throw an entire fandom into despair, a victory is viewed with contempt by her detractors. Of all the strange things, none was more shocking than when I began to feel protective of a young woman who appeared to have it all. She's worked very hard and always gives one hundred percent to the team even when she herself isn't at one hundred percent in health. So yeah, I cried when she fell, and I know it's just gymnastics and other things matter more in the world, but it was a shock for me to see my hero fall when this should be her moment to shine. 

I realize that Russia is probably only going to make three individual event finals. One could argue that we never would've won a medal on floor anyways, but that's neglecting a larger point. Their visual representation takes on an added meaning when you remember that the entire Rusian squadron was almost banned from these Games! How wonderful it would have been to see Aliya and Angelina participate in a floor final, making the crowds fall in love with them, showing the world what they would have missed if WADA had their way. These Olympics just feel like a bust to me. In 2012, I had multiple opportunities to see the girls, and I still enjoy those youtube videos showing all four routines simultaneously and observing how the little nuances in execution differ. Not this team. 

And you can't tell me Russia couldn't have medalled on beam. We have a European and Russian champion in our lineup, and a world finalist on this apparatus. At their best, any of them could put up scores higher than Saraiva's currently leading 6.3 beam set. It's depressing that they won't get a chance. I'm not hating on non-Russians who have done their job and are moving on to finals; of course it pleases me to see them grasp their dreams. I speak purely from the selfish vantage point of a Russia fan who knows what her team is capable of as well.

But as one of my anon's said, it could be worse. Cheers to you anon because for a minute there I thought it WOULD get worse! I'm happy that the girls have qualified to events they have high chances of medalling or winning- it speaks to their excellence. But sometimes I tire of having to find the silver lining with Team Russia. 

Mustafina's thoughts on quals 


Comments

  1. You're welcome! Happy that our comments cheered you up. Melnikova has the whole next quad ahead of her to shine. Happy that Aliya made bars finals and Seda is stayed in beam. Hopefully the girls have hit routines for TF, whatever color medal they end up with they are still the most elegant, most regal of the whole competition ( except ehen they fall ).

    ReplyDelete
  2. is actually got worse the usa got unbelievable overscored
    now aliya in 2nd

    ReplyDelete
  3. yep. it's now worse. The inconsistencies with multiple judging panels today have been absurd. I feel so sorry for China in particular who got slammed yet again, struggled to break 8.5 on hit routines, and got to watch the parade of 8.8s later. I'm just completely disillusioned with the sport at the moment. I swear Raisman's scores on everything but floor might finally be the thing that makes me take a break from WAG for awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I usually don't post comments on these blogs, but I have to ask if anyone else feels that some of this is rigged. From the time I saw Raisman post a 14.733 on bars, with higher execution than fan I knew something was off. I wish they would present each of the judges scores publicly to discourage blatant bias.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Atleast Aliya made AA finals, and totally understand everything. But seeing the Chinese so screwed over especially Fan was heartbreaking. She was a gold medal favorite and the fact that Jessica Lopez (who was also great) but should not have passed her score by any means. Also Shang being sick and missing Beam and floor finals. Still wishing Melka could atleast content for an AA medal. *sigh* well there's always next year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have many thoughts on the infamous judging but I'm going to write a separate post on that because the comments section is inadequate. I'll wait a few days to post it b/c I want to see if this trend continues. In the meantime, if there are any of you still feeling raw about the judging and have a literary talent, you can submit an opinion piece to me by sending something to my email: sashbib@gmail.com . It can be anonymous or you can create a pen name, you can send pics or gifs to include with your post, and it doesn't have to be long either. If there's something you want to get off your chest, this is the best place to do it, you have a very sympathetic audience.

    I will say this for now, the Americans had nowhere to go but up. Didnt I warn you that Kocian would outscore them all? She posted the highest execution last year with leg separations on her komova II and late pirouettes, so of course they MUST give her a 9.1 now that she's actually doing things semi proper! I could see the way scores were rising through the subs, starting with Seda and Melka getting 8.7's for mediocrity, Daria doing the worst routine of her career yet landing a career high, then Downie getting a 15.2 while hitting her feet on the bars. She normally goes 15.1-15.3 for perfect work! The Germans received their career highs by two or three tenths as well, so yep, by rotation 4 I knew what was coming. I knew. On the one hand, you have Douglas and Kocian who were overscored for excellence, meaning because they hit and have a pedigree they were gifted high scores. But how can those judges look Fan Yilin or Chunsong in the eye ever again after giving Aly Raisman and Simone Biles higher e-scores than them? Simone even had a huge mistake in her routine yet posted a 8.933 (how, when she's worked harder for less in the past?). It's almost comical to me, because it's like they had to give Madison and Gabrielle those e-scores after their first two teammates went. It was a ludicrous display and because of that scoring, Raisman is unjustly through to the AA final (over scored on beam, vault, and bars) and Aliya will have to go up against the two American prodigal favorites. And don't even get me started on Lopez' sloppy routine getting 15.3! But I'll sit on my larger opinions for a few days and see what transpires. All I know is I better see every UB judge suspended when next the FIG technical committee holds their review.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just can't understans Seda's scores (E and D) on beam. Do you have some informations or explanations ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her routine at Nat's and the Cup was 6.7. She didn't hit her leap combo but that's only .1 off in connection value. In my opinion, they didn't credit her switch ring because she barely threw her head back before her front leg was looking to land again on the beam. Leaps aren't her strength but normally she does that ring better. If these downgrades are accurate then she lost 6 tenths in difficulty which puts her at 6.1, and I just checked and yep that's what she was credited in quals.

      she got a 8.366e which is 2.5 - 3 tenths below her intl average for a hit routine. could be the dismount, but might also be the execution error when she botched the leap combo, although I thought she choreographed around it quite well.

      Delete
  8. RUSSIA MAG SILVER!

    ReplyDelete
  9. conrainzu Marcus Rucinski Download crack
    calkingkubfei

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment