She Defends Her Title!!!

So I had all these pics and gifs prepared to adequately explain my feelings during the AA final but turns out I only need one. A quick runthrough of the AA through my eyes:


Me when Aliya sticks her vault for the third and LAST time. Say waat?

Me when Aliya downgrades on bars, losing easy tenths. Uh oh.

Me after Aliya puts up a fifteen point six six fucking six anyways.

Me when Aliya is in the lead after two rotations.

Me when the queen throws away everything on beam

Me when others aren't taking advantage of her mistakes

Me when I realize Aliya's difficulty is so high she's still in it

Me after rotation 3 a.k.a 'no one can put up a score high enough to top a 13?'

Me at Aliya's crappy releve/falling out of turns

Me at modern Russian floor routines in general

Me when Aliya scores another 13 and I know Shang's on UB and Ellie's on BB

Me disbelieving no one could top a mid 58

Me when the queen wins an Olympic medal with two 13's

Me when Aliya wins another controversial bronze 

Me when I figure out Aliya is a 6 time Olympic medalist & 11 
time World medalist despite two big surgeries & 2 cleanup surgeries

I mean, DAMN girl


Comments

  1. This is hilarious and sums up my feelings EXACTLY throughout the whole competition. I'm glad for her, she deserves it. Especially after all that she's been through from the injuries, coach changes and Russia almost getting banned from participating altogether. I really hope and pray that she gets gold in EF. She's definitely capable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love her.

    A margin that close is always going to be subject for debate. I felt the same way about the men's competition yesterday (both gold and bronze). Shrug, that's the nature of gymnastics. I hate that she underperformed but nobody took clear advantage and we all knew coming into today that the way things have gone she could afford some degree of error. Shang moreso than some of her teammates has many many many inbuilt issues under this code that keep her scores down, and I would have given her a slightly higher score on beam but a lower one on vault. Evens out. Methinks most of the hysteria is more because it's unfortunate to see someone who did all they could miss out to someone who CLEARLY was capable of doing better...but again, that's gymnastics and the code.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You sum up my more serious sentiments accurately. I will have another post on the AA published soon.

      Delete
    2. I'll even add on to my comment that rewatching her floor I'm surprised by the d-score and I thought she got the triple y around, which would have made a big difference if she'd been credited for it. Just a shame that we know she can do so much better on beam and then there'd be nothing to debate. I still love her though.

      Delete
  3. No medal made me happier than Aliya's. I think that she deserves a Hero medal with her unrelenting competitiveness . I suspect that she still has some health issues and that accounts for the beam....bad backs and beam combinations often do not go together. Best spirit , patience and intelligence among the competitors for me.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment